Check out The POV Lounge Main Website for contests and upcoming events.

http://thepovlounge.webs.com/

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Guest Speaker Marcia Mcnair: The Importance of PR Services

Today we are having a guest speaker. Marcia Mcnair. Today she is speaking to us about the importance of having a PR.
Dominique Watson (DW): Thank you so much for doing the interview. Explain to our readers why you believe having a PR is important to a writer and/or business owner.
Marcia Mcnair (MM): It's the primary way you get the word out about your product and/or service. I'm including word of mouth as an important price of your PR campaign.
DW: As a writer, have you ever hired a PR or Marketer to help promote your book?
MM: Yes, I did, but I was very dissatisfied with the service.
DW: What is the price range for this service?
MM: The price for this service could have cost me close to one thousand dollars, but I decided to test out the service first by contracting for a cheaper package initially. Once I realized the marketer couldn't deliver on the cheaper product, I knew not to trust him with any big money. I recommend that people get references and try out my test method before entrusting anyone with a large sum of money.
DW: What are the chances of writers or business owners succeeding without the proper push of a PR?
MM:You can succeed by doing your own PR, which I did, and I got my book into Barnes and Noble as a result. However, it took me two full years of time consuming work. I am still pretty much functioning as my own PR which means I am constantly on the Internet, writing letters, doing book signings, and networking.
DW: How would an author or business owner go about getting a PR to work for them?
MM: I think you should first check out references, like I said in my answer above. Also, it's very easy to do your own research on a person or company. Don't just call their referrals: Of course, they will only give you the good ones!

An underutilized aspect of marketing your book is marketing your writing in general. Write for local and national newspapers and magazines. Remember, your byline notes your publishing credits and is free advertising for your book! You not only get paid for your article, but get that little perk!
DW: Thank you so much for doing the interview! I'm sure your info and advice is very helpful!
MM: Thank you, you're doing a terrific job!

How important is PR to a writer? This blog was truly helpful. It gives so much insight to authors looking for PR services but do not know if hiring them is the best way to go.
Before We end today's Blog...
Be a guest speaker on The POV Lounge:http://fromawriterspov.webs.com/guestspeaker.htm
Signing Off,
Dominique Watson