Check out The POV Lounge Main Website for contests and upcoming events.

http://thepovlounge.webs.com/

Friday, May 29, 2009

Don't do it for the money

As you all know, I am the owner and publisher of From A Writers POV. I started From A Writers POV because of my love and passion for writing. As I got into writing more as an adult, I looked for places that offered what I was looking for. Resources, a place to connect with other writers, a place that catered to writers and authors even if they never had a best seller. So when I couldn't find that, I started From A Writers POV.

It actually started as just a magazine that featured about seven articles writers. As the years went on by it expanded. The one question I hear the most is how do I do it. Not only do I run From A Writers POV, I also have a Ladies Ministry. I've published three books, ran a jewelry store which I make and sell inspirational jewelry. I'm in school and I'm a mother and wife. So how do I do it?

In order for me to be successful in all that I do is first putting God above everything. Second it's my passion for the things I love. I love writing. I love making jewelry and I love inspiring others. It is my passion to make sure I do these things often. When you have a passion for something, it does not become about the money. It never will because completing what you love to do is fulfillment in itself.

I see a lot of writers who are looking to become best sellers, looking to make a lot of money off their books. I am not saying to settle. You never want to settle. You always want to reach for your best but when writing and publishing becomes about the money, you are not fullfilled. Money only comforts us for a little while. Then what? When I receive emails about what I've done for someone else, how I have inspired them to write more or start a business that fills me up.

From A Writers POV and Ladies of Christ did not come from the need of money. It came from my passion, my love to give to others and inspire them. I may not be known for the books I've written but I will probably be known for being the creator of From A Writers POV or Ladies of Christ. People will remember me because I have a passion to give and once I have helped someone and given them what they need, I am fulfilled.

So my advice to you is even if you are not a writer, do what you do because you love it. I'm not talking about our jobs. Cause in all honesty we have to work to survive. But I mean our hobbies. The things we do that bring pleasure to us. Do it because you love it. Don't do it for the money. Do it for the things that are priceless; fulfillment, excitement, pleasure, contentment. Because at the end of the day, we can't take our money with us. Don't live a life that's filled with the need of money because you will never be happy and our lives are too short for that!

Signing Off,

Dominique Watson