Check out The POV Lounge Main Website for contests and upcoming events.

http://thepovlounge.webs.com/

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Get to know the contributing writers of From a Poetic POV: Shawn Morris

Continuing today, we are talking with the contributors of From A Writers POV first book compilation, From a Poetic POV. Yesterday we spoke with writer Marjorie Banks. Today, we are speaking with Shawn Morris. Read about him below.













Dominique Watson (DW): How long have you been a poetry writer?
Shawn Morris (SM): I have been a poetry writer for 17 years.

DW: Tell us a little about who you are.
SM: I am 34, and I work in retail. I am pursuing a degree in Business Administration to pursue a career in marketing and project management. I am the proud father of two boys, 13 & 16 and I am been married for two years.

DW: What made you decide to participate in the compilation?
SM: I have been involved with different writers in the pass and it has been difficult to find a group of people who shared the same visions that you do. Once I found out about this opportunity, I didn't think twice because this would give me the positive exposure that I need to move ahead in my writing career as well.

DW: What type of flavor do you believe your poems will bring to the book?
SM: I tried to give several different styles of my writing. I believe that what you write is how you feel. Therefore you may write about actual expereinces or you may use your imagination to give a twist to what you are trying to give to the reader. I give the reader a little romance, some of my life experiences, and a little persuasion.

DW: Have you published a book before? If so, tell us about it. If not, when do you plan to publish your first book?
SM: I haven't published a book as of yet, but I am about to published a poetry book call "A Voice Of A Man" which should be out in the beginning of August.

DW: Is this your first compilation project? If not, give us details about your previous compilation.
SM: This will be my first complication project. However I just team up with published author Nujilia Brickhouse to do a nonfiction novel called "Unanticapated Circumstances".

DW: What does poetry do for you? Poetry is my way to vent, to create, to inform and inspire other people.
SM: What do you believe your poems do for the reader? I believe that my poetry will give the reader a vision as well as inform them of ways that I truly feel.

You can view more of Shawn's work at: www.myspace.com/shawnmorris.
This is an excerpt from a poem titled:


"My Writing Fundamentals"

I gaze at the clock on the wall and then I grab my paper to look at the free writing.

The images reappear and once again I begin to write.

I slam my pen down in anger;

Not because my thoughts are lost in the wind;

Of course a writer can not write without any ink his pen.

From a Poetic POV will be available in August

Signing Off,
Dominique Watson