Check out The POV Lounge Main Website for contests and upcoming events.

http://thepovlounge.webs.com/

Friday, August 21, 2009

Guest Speaker Zaria Garrison: Interviews

Today we have a guest speaker. Zaria Garrison. She is a professional in writing, publishing, magazines. Today she is going to speak to us about interviewing. Read her interview below.

Dominique Watson (DW): As an author what are some points to remember when doing an interview?
Zaria Garrison (ZG): As an author I make sure that I always mention my current project, as well as how and where it can be obtained. It's also important to remember to be cordial and pleasant even if the interview is not going great. A fan is listening.

DW: Have you heard of blogtalk radio? If so what do you think about it? Is it helpful for authors and writers?
ZG:Yes, I am co-host of a blog-talk radio show, call On the Hush. It's a topic centered radio show. I think it's a very helpful medium. One of my favorite features is that although it's live, someone can download and listen to it again later. Unlike commercial radio, if someone misses your interview, their chance is gone.

DW: How should authors go about getting an interview?
ZG:Part of being an author is the ability to sell yourself. First authors should research to find out what their target audience is reading and listening to. Then they should approach those mediums with the offer to do an interview.

DW: How can an interviewer conduct a successful interview?
ZG: When I am conducting an interview with authors I try to ask new questions. Most authors have repeatedly been asked the same questions over and over. I like to dig deeper into who they are as a person, and ask those questions they don't expect and haven't given the same answer to 100 times. It's also important to research the person you are interviewing before the interview. Find out as much as possible about them, then asked questions based on the research.

DW: What are some mistakes interviewers make?
ZG: The biggest mistake I think is not treating each interview individually. Each person should have their own questions that pertain to them, not a set of pre-requisite questions that are used for everyone. I have been blessed to do interviews with authors, as well as being interviewed by others as an author. This has allowed me to see the interview from both angles. Because I'm an author, I am able to ask questions as a reader, as well as a writer. I feel that allows me to do a more in depth interview. I'm able to take my experiences as a writer and mold that into questions that another writer will benefit from. At the same time I can take my love for reading and use it to ask the questions that the reader is thinking as well. When giving interviews as an author, I feel my experience doing interviews comes into play by allowing me to be in the shoes of the person asking the questions. I know that they don't want yes or no answers. They want me to think about my answers and give as much information as possible. So I try my best to give the interviewer my all. The purpose of an interview is for the person reading the interview to learn about the person being interviewed. If I give short, rehearsed answers, the person is unable to achieve that goal. I also think that every writer, should take the time to conduct an interview with another person. This will allow them the opportunity to see the interview from both sides. It adds a unique perspective as well as can be used for growth as a writer, and an interviewer.

Great points! As an interviewer, this info helped me take a step back and look at what I'm doing wrong. I believe it's important to get advice on how to conduct an interview and as an author how to get an interview. Zaria is so right. It's all about selling yourself and if you don't know how to do that, hire a promotor!

Before we end today's blog...
Check out what book I'm reading on The Publisher's Choice: http://fromawriterspov.webs.com/publisherschoice.htm

Signing Off,
Dominique Watson